Wir leben alle unter dem gleichen Himmel, aber wir haben nicht alle den gleichen Horizont.
Konrad Adenauer

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The International Students

It's funny! When I started to go abroad with sweet little sixteen, there was, at least the feeling, that internet doesn't (really) exist. I got my first mail-adress [it was karen_steinmetz@gmx.net --- I still remember it], arranged by my cousin. When I was in Mexico I called my parents like every 3 weeks(?) by phone. I started to write mails. I started to use the internet with "google, icq, napster". I already remember the modem and the strange sound it made logging in. I didn't have a mobile and every day I returned from selling drugs in the streets I had a hundred phone calls on a list which Lola had to answer all day long. I walked with my sony walkman down la calle listening a cassette with Bob Marley music.
Now I have 4 mail adresses, an iPod, an [old] mobile phone, this blog and there exists a monster called facebook. Somebody create a group "kristiansand fall 2012" and "ESN Uni i Agder - Norway". Everybody is posting in there like "Don't you have nothing to do at all?". And always the same questions: "Where do I buy toiletpaper? Is it expensive to live under the bridge? Did you also took the course 'How to ride by bike in winter'?" and so on. It seems that I already know all my colleagues. So, why go to Kristiansand?
Stop! The last sentences I wrote seem to be very negative. But I have to admit that all these things make it also a little easier. I didn't had to send my papers by airmail, I could sign my room-contract online and I bought already my trainticket. Well, sometimes I am not quite sure what I want. It's (like I started) funny to see how the world is changing. And while complaining all the time there are still a lot of things better than in the past and also helping for our future. But now I am prepared, now I want to smell the olor of Kristiansand, the beach, the mountains and the forest. I want to feel the cold weather. 


No comments: